The 10th annual Biotech Showcase™, the largest international biotech investor conference in the world produced by Demy-Colton and EBD Group, will bring together over 3,500 life science decision makers and investors from 50+ countries to collaborate and discuss industry trends through panels, workshops, and fireside chats. Taking place on January 8-10, 2018 at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square, attendees will hear from key biotech investors, leaders, pharma executives, and other industry advisors on topics such as the future of biotech and the public markets, the rapidly advancing digital and medical technologies, and the health of cross-border investments and collaboration in China.
“We’re looking forward to participating in Biotech Showcase, which continues to serve as a home base for the life science community to discuss innovative opportunities and investment partnering during the largest week in healthcare in San Francisco,” said Art Pappas, Managing Partner, Pappas Capital.
Understanding the health of the life sciences and biotech industries involves dissecting the past year’s successes. The January 10th lunch plenary, “Reflecting on 2017 record-breaking venture numbers: What’s behind the surge?”, will be moderated by Ellen Corenswet, Partner, Covington & Burling LLP, and include perspectives from investors and healthcare companies on 2017 financials:
- Han Lee – Senior Director, Corporate Development, AstraZeneca
- Marian Nakada – VP, Venture Investments, Johnson & Johnson Innovation
- Jonathan Norris – Managing Director, Healthcare Practice, Silicon Valley Bank
- Art Pappas – Managing Partner, Pappas Ventures
- Alex Zisson – Managing Director, H.I.G. Capital
The January 8th lunch plenary, “The future of biotechnology and life sciences sector: Are we at a tipping point?”, will discuss whether the pace of heavy investments and accelerated drug approval in 2017 will continue. The session will be moderated by Sara Radcliffe, President and CEO, California Life Sciences Association, and include panelists:
- Ron Cohen – President and CEO, Acorda Therapeutics, Inc.
- Joaquin Duato – Executive VP and Worldwide Chairman, Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson; Chairman of the Board, PhRMA
- Jim Greenwood – President and CEO, Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- Rachel King – CEO, GlycoMimetics, Inc.
- Paul Mignon – President and Global Head, inVentiv Health Selling Solutions, INC Research/inVentiv Health
“I’m looking forward to discussing the promising projections for next year at Biotech Showcase and uncovering with investors and industry decision makers where the biggest growth and investment opportunities are as we move into 2018,” said Asthika Goonewardene, Senior Biotech Analyst, Bloomberg Intelligence, who is leading a January 8th workshop, “The public markets and biotech: What to expect in 2018.” Gabriel Cavazos, Director, Investment Banking, Leerink Partners LLC will also participate in this workshop moderated by Barbara Ryan, Founder, Barbara Ryan Advisors.
The program will include a Digital Medicine & Medtech Showcase, highlighting the companies and partnerships that are making the advancement of digital medicine possible, such as Qualcomm Life and Digital Therapeutics Alliance, among others. “We’re looking forward to diving into conversations with our colleagues on the future of medical technologies and the challenges we are working to overcome as leaders driving change in healthcare through digital medicine,” said Rick Valencia, President, Qualcomm Life.
A January 10th closing panel, “The future of healthcare with the convergence of digital innovations” moderated by Anne Smart, Managing Director, ClearView Healthcare Partners, will elaborate on this topic with panelists from organizations working to drive technological advancements in life sciences:
- Megan Coder – Executive Director, Digital Therapeutics Alliance
- Mary Lou Jepsen – Founder and CEO, Openwater
- Aaron Nelson – General Partner, dRx Capital; Principal, Novartis Venture Fund
- Joanna Schulman – CEO, AIDIA
- Rick Valencia – President, Qualcomm Life
The list of current speakers can be found on the Biotech Showcase Speaker page here and the Digital Medicine & Medtech Showcase Speaker page here. A concurrent event, China Showcase, will highlight cross-border investment and collaboration opportunities through key sessions, keynotes, and valuable networking opportunities.
For more information or to register for the event, go to BiotechShowcase.com. Credentialed press can apply for free registration online here. Follow Biotech Showcase on Twitter: @EBDGroup and @DemyColton (hashtag: #BTS18).
Since 2008, Demy-Colton has been at the forefront of building networks between leaders from innovative biotech companies and industry stakeholders to examine and address biotech opportunities and challenges and deliver on the promise of transformational science.
We do this through facilitating networking and biotech community development on an international scale. Our investor conferences and CEO Summits expand communities that transcend geographical boundaries establishing ongoing, high-value relationships that contributes greatly to the evolution of the biopharmaceutical ecosystems we cultivate.
We set a unique stage where biotech leaders, investors, and stakeholders can connect to realize significant opportunities for investment, learning, and growth. Our events spur introductions and thoughtful conversations. In turn, inspiration, ideas, and opportunities for investment flow. Demy-Colton’s expanding portfolio of conferences includes:
- Biotech Showcase™ – a unique forum in San Francisco for presenting to investors and business development executives
- Digital Medicine & MedTech Showcase™ – A two and a half day meeting, coinciding with Biotech Showcase, where key opinion leaders, investors and CEOs in the digital medicine and medtech spaces examine the latest industry advances and trends.
- China Showcase A one-day meeting, coinciding with Biotech Showcase, that highlights cross-border biotech investment and collaboration opportunities between China and the U.S.
- Biotech CEO Summit™ – An invitation-only, thought-provoking meeting for biotech industry leaders united by the common goal of driving responsible growth and innovation
- Biotech CEO Summit Europe™ – An invitation-only, one-of-a-kind event dedicated to helping the leadership of newly public and late stage private biotech companies navigate the constantly evolving biotech landscape
About EBD Group
EBD Group’s overriding mission is to help collaborations get started across the life science value chain. Our range of partnering conferences has grown to become the largest and most productive conference platform in the industry. Each one of our seven landmark events held in key life science markets around the world is powered by our state-of-the-art partnering software, partneringONE®, that enables delegates to efficiently identify and engage with new opportunities via one-to-one meetings.
Today our events (BIO-Europe®, BIO-Europe Spring®, BioPharm America™, Biotech Showcase™, ChinaBio® Partnering Forum, Cell & Gene Exchange, and BioEquity Europe) annually attract more than 12,000 senior life science executives who engage in over 48,000 one-to-one partnering meetings. These vital one-to-one engagements are the wellspring of deals that drive innovation in our industry.
Tune into EBD Group’s Partnering Insight for timely coverage of news that influences the business strategies of the life science industry. EBD Group is an Informa company. For more information please visit www.ebdgroup.com.