Digital therapeutics (DTx) deliver evidence-based therapeutic interventions to patients that are driven by high quality software programs to prevent, manage, or treat a broad spectrum of physical, mental, and behavioral conditions. Digital therapeutics form an independent category of evidence-based products within the broader digital health landscape, and are distinct from pure-play adherence, diagnostic, and telehealth products.
As the DTx field grows, patients, providers, and payers can expect to see an increasingly comprehensive network of therapy options for medical disorders and diseases. Accounting for the diversity of products across the DTx industry, individual digital therapeutics have the potential to:
- Enhance and support current medical treatments
- Provide patients, providers, and payers with novel therapy options for unmet medical needs
- Be used independently or in conjunction with other therapies
- Reduce reliance on certain pharmaceuticals or other therapies
- Integrate into medical guidelines and best practices